Eligible Employees and Eligible Dependents currently enrolled in the Medical, Dental and/or Prescription plan may continue coverage upon a qualifying event in the group plan at your own expense.
Contact the Moorestown Township Public School’s Business Office immediately following a COBRA qualifying event.
Period of Coverage
- Employees may continue coverage up to a maximum of 18 months
- Dependents may continue coverage up to a maximum of 36 months.
- Handicapped children incapable of self-support and chiefly dependent upon the employee for support and maintenance may continue coverage until the date the incapacity ends.
Standard Periods of Coverage
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) establishes required periods of coverage for continuation health benefits. COBRA beneficiaries generally are eligible for group coverage during a maximum period of 18 months for a qualifying event of employment termination or reduction of employment hours. Other qualifying events may entitle a spouse and dependent children to a total of 36 months of COBRA coverage.
As an employee enrolled as a member of the Moorestown Township Public School’s benefit program you may continue coverage at your own expense for yourself and your eligible dependents for the following reasons:
- You lose your health coverage because of a reduction in hours; or
- Your employment terminates for reasons other than gross misconduct on your part.
As a spouse dependent enrolled as a member of the Moorestown Township Public School’s benefit program you may continue coverage for yourself for any of the following reasons:
- Your spouse dies;
- Your spouse’s employment terminates for reasons other than gross misconduct, or reduces hours of employment;
- Divorce or legal separation from your spouse; or
- Your spouse becomes entitled to Medicare benefits.
As a dependent child enrolled as a member of the Moorestown Township Public School’s benefit program you may continue coverage for any of the following reasons:
- The death of parent;Your parent’s employment terminates for reasons other than gross misconduct,
- or reduces hours of employment;
- Your parents divorce or legally separate;
- Your parent becomes entitled to Medicare; or
- You cease to be an eligible dependent child under any/all group coverage.
Cost of COBRA Coverage
Flex Facts is the COBRA Administrator for Moorestown Board of Education. When you have a COBRA qualifying event, Flex Facts will send you a COBRA notification package that contains all the information, including the enrollment process and the cost of the COBRA coverage. The cost will be 102% of the current monthly premium rates for the medical, prescription, and dental coverage.